Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Blog Without Goals Is A Blog Without Results

What’s the number one reason a new blog ends prematurely? Times up. It was kind of a trick question anyways, because there are three but they are interrelated: (1) trying to do much and becoming overwhelmed, (2) a lack of (unrealistic) goals, and (3) only writing about a particular topic only for monetary reasons. We’re all guilty of it, because lets face it; the desire to make money is human nature. I, for one, know I’m guilty of this. A long time ago, I started a blog about cell phones because I believed there was a great potential for income from the dot com (see reason #3). I didn’t have a great deal of interest in the subject, but I figured ‘what the hell, once it’s making money for me I’ll learn to love it.’ The first month I cranked out posts with varying amounts per day and with little direction. I even monetized the site, but by the end of the first month I accumulated a little over $1. I put in all this work and got nothing out of it, and soon became overwhelmed with the entire project (see reason #1). Why did this happen? I set my sights too high; I was expecting to make $50+ in the first month and be making bazillions in no time (see reason #2). As you can easily see, my goals were unrealistic and my reasons for the blog were purely monetary and as result I became overwhelmed quite quickly. In order to correct my mistakes, lets look take a look at my first road to success.


The Solution:


You’ve seen the solution to these problems hundreds, if not thousands of times on the web. Choose a topic you’re passionate about! Before you begin your venture of making money on the web, take some time and write down your favorite topics or even something that interests you that you WANT to learn about. When you start out, don’t kill yourself putting up 50 posts a day. You won’t be able to keep this pace, and for heavens sake, don’t worry about money yet! If you have no or a few post and little if any visitors, how do you expect to earn any money??? At this point, getting traffic to your blog is the most important issue. Right now I’d love to have 1000 visitors by end of the month. That would be about 33-34 visitors per day. Guess what, this first month I’m probably not going to get that. 1000 visitors by the end of the month would be an unrealistic goal. Hell, I’m not sure if I’ll get 500 visitors in the first month, but I think 250 visitors (about 8-9 visitors per day) is realistic. So, I’m going to set a goal of 250 to 500 visitors by the end of the month. I’m not going to go overboard with my posts either. I’m going to shoot to add 1 solid post per day for the next month about a topic I am very passionate about: Making Money Online! I have more goals in mind, but they’re not appropriate at this point in time, but in the mean time make yourself some realistic goals in a realistic time period, and see how much accomplished you feel when you reach your goals!

No comments: